The ask: What could be done – pronto – to rush 3-D printed auto parts prototypes from Detroit to a facility in Monterey, Mexico?
Bottom line: The need was immediate and run-of-the-mill shipping methods were too slow, too cumbersome and offered too little tracking and peace of mind.
Our customer needed a fail-safe logistics solution to jump-start work in Mexico and shift the project into high gear. The deadline was hours, not days.
Getting the printed prototypes from Point A to Point B called for a speedy, specialized, secure shipping strategy.
We knew a successful To-Do list would:
- Assure the proper documentation and customs paperwork;
- Provide near-constant communications on the status of the shipment;
- Manage a chain of control that assured the prototypes were in the best possible hands from start to finish.
Our client was not comfortable trusting such vital, time-sensitive material to a certified package delivery company. We were asked: “Is there a better way?”
Without hesitation, our experienced domestic and international shipping professionals set in motion a hand-carry solution. A veteran member of ICAT was tapped to pick up the precious cargo and keep it in his possession on a flight departing ASAP to Monterey. The prototypes would remain with our courier from departure to destination. Delivery would be in person to the company’s designated representative in Mexico.
A hand-carry option for extremely time-sensitive shipments is among the customized solutions offered by ICAT for domestic and international shipments, including those in remote locations.
Among the essential steps to a successful, hand-carry mission:
- Work with the customer on the package size to keep in an overhead compartment, under the seat or in the airplane hold.
- Lay out the most efficient route to meet deadlines and safe delivery.
- Sweat the details on COVID restrictions, documentation and customs paperwork.
- Implement a transparent, timely communications plan for the customer to easily follow the process. “Constant, clear communications is a must-have ingredient,” said Neil Clavano, our terminal manager.
Such is the case with the hand-carry service provided by ICAT Logistics Detroit. Our approach was so effective in the Detroit-to-Mexico episode that the client called upon us several more times for similar needs.
“It’s definitely VIP treatment that requires the cream of the crop, value-added attention,” said Clavano. “That’s what we provide, time and again.”
When there is a need for speed – and sure-fire delivery – you can count on the experience and global reach of ICAT Logistics DTW.
We work hand-to-hand – and point-to-point – to carry the day for customers.